Our Automobile Salvage department are experts in the auto recycling process and as such are fully equipped to offer you the maximum possible value for recycling your vehicle through Junk-A-Car. We also offer fast, free reliable towing. Our removal service will come to your vehicle’s location, pay you top dollar on the spot for your car, truck, van or SUV then tow your car away for free to be recycled. Call now to get a quote and find out what recycling your vehicle is worth in immediate cash.
CARS ARE RECYCLED IN FOUR STEPS: DISMANTLING, CRUSHING, SHREDDING, AND RESOURCE RECOVERY.
- Dismantling includes – Recovery of fluids and useable parts such as batteries, wheels and tires, steering columns, fenders, radios, engines, starters, transmissions, alternators, select plastic parts, glass, foams, catalytic convertors.
- The remaining vehicle is then crushed.
- The crushed vehicle is loaded into the vehicle shredder.
- The shredder grinds the vehicle into fist-sized pieces, which are then separated into ferrous and non-ferrous (aluminum) metals, as well as ASR. After separation, the recovered metals are remelted at the mills, and the ASR is landfilled.
FACTS ABOUT AUTO RECYCLING*
- Each year, nearly all of the 27 million cars around the world that reach the end of their useful life are recovered for recycling.
- Automotive recyclers now can recover nearly 80 percent of the total materials by weight from a vehicle, according to the United States Council on Automotive Research (USCAR) Exit EPA an organization of auto manufacturers that work together on shared technological and environmental concerns.
- The remaining 20 percent of vehicle materials that cannot be recycled is called auto shredder residue (ASR). ASR includes plastics, rubber, wood, paper, fabric, glass, sand, dirt, and ferrous and nonferrous metal pieces.
- Five million tons of ASR are disposed of in landfills each year.
- Consumers purchasing used or reconditioned parts save 50 percent or more compared to the cost of purchasing new parts.
- More than 25 million tons of materials are recycled from vehicles each year. Automotive recycling is generally calculated separately from the MSW recycling rate.
- Nearly 90 percent of automotive aluminum is recovered and recycled. Although this aluminum represents less than 10 percent of the average motor vehicle by weight, it accounts for roughly half of the vehicle’s value as scrap.
- Auto recyclers supply more than one-third of all ferrous scrap (iron and steel) to the US scrap processing industry. When manufacturers use scrap iron and steel instead of virgin ore, they reduce air and water pollution by more than half during the manufacturing process.
PROUD MEMBER OF THE AUTOMOTIVE RECYCLERS ASSOCIATION (ARA)
Junk-A-Car is a member of the Automotive Recyclers Association (ARA) and is committed to furthering the cause for automotive recycling.
Since 1943, the ARA is an international trade association which has represented an industry dedicated to the efficient removal and reuse of automotive parts, and the safe disposal of inoperable motor vehicles.
To learn more about the ARA, visit their website: http://www.a-r-a.org/
To see Junk-A-Car’s member information, visit the Member Directory page and search “Junk Car Traders”.